top of page

Is your cat at risk of being poisoned this winter?

Each changing season can bring a whole range of additional risks for our cats. Everyday items which may seem harmless can leave our pets in need of emergency care.

Our short blog hopes to highlight some of the most common hazards your cat may encounter during the winter months.

What are the most common winter hazards to our pets?

  • Human cold and flu medication - toxic to pets.

  • Rat poison - anti-coagulant rodenticide can cause fatal haemorrhage.

  • Xylitol - E967 sweetener... causes a dangerous drop in blood sugar and potential liver failure. Found in sweets, gum and peanut butter.

  • Chocolate - common problem... the higher the cocoa content the more risk.

  • Antifreeze - contains ethylene glycol which causes kidney failure. The sweet taste is appealing to cats, who may lick any accidental spills.

  • Acorns and conkers - cause upset tummies and could obstruct the intestines.

  • Mushrooms - some wild mushrooms can be toxic to pets, much like ourselves.

  • Mouldy pumpkins - mouldy food, in general, can cause seizures, intestinal and liver damage.

What should I do if I think my cat has eaten a toxin?

This winter TVM, a leading animal health company is reminding pet owners of the importance of acting fast.

Remember, SPEED:

  • Stop the pet from eating any more suspected poison.

  • Phone the vets.

  • Emergency appointment.

  • Evidence – bring labels/samples/vomit.

  • Don’t delay.

Why not share our blog with your cat-loving friends and help us to avoid our pets falling victim to accidental poisoning this winter?


bottom of page